What the heck am I supposed to blog about?
You know you should be blogging. You know it’s good for SEO (maybe you’re not quite sure why or how, but you know it’s true.) You know you see other photographers and creatives blogging about what seem to be rad topics, but all you can come up with is a blog about your recent shoot or event or other portfolio work.
We get it. It can be a tall order, especially if writing isn’t your strength or you don’t enjoy it. I have good news for you…writing is my strength.
I have a degree in journalism.
My first jobs out of college, I worked for two different online magazines. (My job title was: Content Producer.)
Then, I was an editor at a magazine for 3+ years.
I write a lot over on my personal blog and am working on my first book!
Summed up: I can come up with content ALL DAY LONG. (If this isn’t your jam, click here to get our free Content Creation Kit!)
And because of all that, I’m excited to share how I do it and some things I ask myself, as I’m creating valuable content for our readers, our ideal clients, the people we want to connect with most!
To get you started, here are 19 blog topics creative entrepreneurs can write about…(don’t forget you can create videos, too, in addition to writing!)
Services + work
- What do your current clients ask you?
- What did your past clients say they loved about the process of working with you?
- What are your strengths within your work?
- What topics do your ideal clients want to know more about?
- What do you love to talk about with your industry friends?
- What fires you up about what you do…why do you do what you do?
- What industry friends do you love working with? Tell your audience about why they’re awesome!
- How do you get inspired to create the work you do for your clients?
- Do you have any cool gear or equipment or tools you use for work that are interesting to your audience?
- Why do you shoot/draw/design the way YOU do vs. the way others do it?
- What 4-5 categories sum up your brand? Write them out, then, you’ll have even more topics to write about! For example, for us, for Idealust, our categories are: 1. Freedom/adventure/travel 2. Encouragement/community 3. Mindset/morning routine 4. Business tips/strategies 5. Behind the scenes/our life. This gives me plenty to work with!
- What words describe your style or the type of work you do…share what that looks like!
- Not sure how to answer these questions about your brand? Want a little bit of help with this part? We’ve got you covered!
Portfolio (shoots, design work, etc.)
- Show your clients’ individual shoots or the work you’ve created for them.
- Create a collection of favorites or round-ups (Best of __________ engagement sessions, My 5 funniest greeting cards, etc.)
- Year in review of all you did with and for your clients.
- How can you tie a recent vacation into what you do for work? Maybe you were inspired by something you saw or experienced?
- What do you have in common with your ideal clients? Favorite books, coffee shops, businesses you use?
- What do you like to do for fun? How can you relate that to your ideal clients?
- What personal projects are you working on? How do they benefit your audience?
Our most popular non-portfolio posts from our photography business
- What to wear for your engagement session
- Should we buy a wedding album?
- How to look and feel comfortable in front of the camera
- Location scouting in everyday places
Go ahead, use these topics to get started! I bet you come up with more awesome ideas on your own, once you find your groove!
We know, we know…you appreciate the help with blogging, but what about content for Instagram and IG stories and newsletters?! We got your back, boo. Click here to get our free Content Creation Kit to give you a big, fat jumpstart on all of the above 😉